Tips and Tricks

Ξ Comments are off

Moving Your Pet into the European Union

posted by Victoria
Moving Your Pet into the European Union

Requirements for Moving Your Pet into the European Union

Countries in the European Union include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

This article lists the general requirements for bringing a pet into the European Union. While most countries in the European Union follow the same standards required to import a pet, it’s important to note each country has its own list of restricted breeds, documentation, and vaccination requirements. Ask your PRC (Pet Relocation Counselor) for more information about your destination country’s import requirements.

Document Requirements:

  1. International Health Certificate & Annex IV European Union Certificate and Declaration

In order to travel to the European Union, you must have an international health certificate issued, dated, and signed by a Government approved veterinarian within 10 days of travel. After the EU certificate is completed, it will be sent to the USDA for endorsement where the certificate will be signed, dated, and stamped.

2. Original Vaccination Records (Rabies and General)

In order to clear customs, all records must be orignal. While rare, airlines may lose documents during transit. Therefore, it’s important to make copies of all records before your pet’s flight.

If you’re moving to the European Union from a Rabies Free Country or Controlled Country:

Step 1: Implant an ISO-compatible microchip.

  • Your pet must be implanted with an ISO-compatible microchip, the international standard 15 digit microchip.!
  • If your pet already has a microchip, that’s great news! Ask your vet to scan it to verify the microchip hasn’t shifted sub-dermally and can be read by scanners.
  • You will need to obtain a certificate from your vet verifying your pet has been microchipped.

Step 2: Rabies Vaccination

  • Your pet’s rabies vaccination must be greater than 21 days old at the time of travel. Your pet’s rabies vaccination should be administered no less than 30 days after their microchip is installed.
  • Pets vaccinated before their microchip is installed will require additional shots before entry which could delay travel.

Step 3: General Vaccinations

Only required if your pet will require boarding once in the EU.

  • DHPPL (Distemper, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza, Leptospirosis)
  • Dogs – Bordetella (Kennel Cough)
  • Cats – FVRCP (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia)

If your Pet is Moving from a Rabies Endemic Country

Your pet will require a Rabies Titre Test at least 30 days after the most recent rabies vacinnation and 3 months before their flight date. Therefore, if you are traveling from a rabies endemic country, it’s important to start planning your trip early on with your Pet Relocation Counselor!

Comments are closed.


Recent Posts


Learn how to prepare your pet for its journey. Download our Pet Transport Guide

Share This Page

WCPT on Facebook

Follow WCPT

Trends and Tweets